Volunteer Scotland and the Scottish Government have launched a new Volunteering Action Plan at The Gathering, SCVO’s annual celebration of the voluntary sector.
The plan was developed with the input of over 100 participants, who have brought integral themes to the action plan including building knowledge and developing skills, supporting local communities and promoting the value of volunteers.
Actions identified in the Volunteering Action Plan include:
- Increasing public awareness of volunteering and to tackle stereotypes around what it is and who volunteers
- Engaging community assets, organisations, and local leadership to maximise the contribution of volunteers
- Increasing the opportunities available to volunteer: widening the breadth of opportunities and increasing access for under-represented groups
- Promoting the ‘value’ of volunteering more widely
- Building knowledge and skills within inclusive volunteering, reducing bureaucracy, and widening standards of practice
The Volunteering Action Plan will be boosted by a £100,000 investment from the Scottish Government in the Make Your Mark Heritage volunteering campaign. Make Your Mark is a portal that connects potential volunteers with organisations that care for Scotland’s places, histories and cultures.